Application Data Overview
Advanced MIS contains all list, item, user and hierarchy data in your Talis Aspire tenancy. You will see information from Reading Lists, Copyright Clearance and Talis Elevate.
The data is a replica - not live data - and is pushed to the data warehouse and reformatted to optimise for management reporting. Data can either be automatically or manually pushed, see the Pushing Content topic for more information.
Part of the refactoring for management reporting involves:
- Dropping high-cardinality columns, such as
- Exploding dates into their parts to enable queries such as Find users who mostly log in on Tuesdays in September
- Flattening data structures
- Adding external identifiers so data can be linked to other sources
- Calculating new lookup tables based on the existing data. For example a view that links all isbns with the item it appears on.
There is is a (rather large!!) entity relationship diagram available.
Refer to the data dictionary topics below to discover how to use the different entities in the warehouse:
|Entity||Description||Fact Table Name|
|Lists||Reading list data||
|Items||Reading list item data||
|Users||Reading list user records||
|Hierarchy Descendants||Calculated view of all descendants of a given node||
|Hierarchy Parents||Linking table from a given node to its parents||
|ISBN Link||Linking table from an isbn to all items it appears on||
|Rollovers||Reading list rollover data||
|Digitisations||Copyright cleared request data||
|Elevate Users||Talis Elevate users||
|Elevate Modules||Talis Elevate modules||
|Elevate Resources||Talis Elevate resources||
|Elevate Module Resource Links||Linking table between Talis Elevate modules and resources||
WARNING: The data dictionary is subject to change. For that reason always refer to column names directly in your SQL statements, not column positions.