Event Data Overview
Event data contains information about how users interact with Talis Aspire. For example, who accesses which reading lists when, how often LTI integrations are utilised, how students are interacting with the Talis Player, how academics are using the list editing tools.
It can give you a good picture of how your rollout of Talis Aspire is progressing, feeding into management dashboards, or alternatively as a rich source for your student analytics programme.
Event data is streamed into your Advanced MIS data warehouse in near real time. That means it arrives usually within a few seconds of the event taking place, however in busy periods this could take a little longer.
Inside the warehouse, data exists in three forms:
- Raw events - a single record for each recorded event, with all properties available
- Timeseries 1hr sliding window aggregate - a single record per hour for a class of events, grouped by up to 4 pre-defined dimensions
- Timeseries 24hr sliding window aggregate - a single record per 24hr for a class of events, grouped by up to 4 pre-defined dimensions
Due to the nature of event data, there is the potential over time for events to fill your warehouse to its size limit. Therefore event data is subject to a retention period before being dropped, as follows:
- Raw event data is kept for up to 7 days, giving you enough time to export it on a nightly basis if required
- Timeseries 1hr sliding window aggregated data is kept for 30 days
- Timeseries 24hr sliding window aggregated data is kept for 36 months
Review the event classes documentation to discover what is available.